So OLX is now Jiji, and it retains its method of being kind of the center man, a spot the place patrons and sellers can meet. The platform stays largely unregulated with little checks to confirm/authenticate the legitimacy of merchandise posted on the positioning. Regardless of all these dangers, it stays a moderately stable platform to buy used, refurbished and even new merchandise.
Jiji additionally supplies some level of precaution to its customers however that could be very fundamental and can be thought to be its method of avoiding authorized legal responsibility should you get scammed.
Listed below are some ideas when on Jiji
- Under no circumstance do you have to send cash to a seller remotely? There are numerous folks which might be making a killing by preying on unsuspecting prospects. The web is awash with horror tales like these so don’t do it.
If a deal is just too good, it isn’t actual
- The Samsung Galaxy S9 is last year’s flagship. True the galaxy S10 household and the Galaxy Note 10 family are additionally accessible and those will take the highest spot by way of value so the Galaxy S9 ought to see a big price drop, that’s right, proper? However here’s a vendor on Jiji promoting a brand new Galaxy S9 for simply Ksh. 16,000. Do yourself a favor, steer clear.
Have a look at the date of registration for the Seller
- Jiji is aware of there are scammers on its platform and it really works exhausting to close these down. In the event you see a vendor has had his account for lower than per week, he’s a scammer that’s simply created that account to lure you. You may also be aware that such users often have a bunch of similar advertisements, all created within the final day or two. It’s a rip-off.
Attempt to have the seller meet you someplace in public the place you’re snug
- A shady vendor will need to have you ever come to some darkish a part of city, his dwelling turf the place he can rip-off you and weezle his manner out, leaving you stranded. In case your vendor is insisting you meet him someplace you aren’t snug, hold up, block him if you need to and browse for other related advertisements.
Message them extensively
- One other trick I realized, ask the vendor as many questions as possible. A real vendor will probably be blissful to furnish you with information about the product. A scammer will probably be in a rush to seal the deal. Additionally, messaging them gives you a way of who’s legit and who isn’t as with Jiji aggressively cracking down on scammers, inside just a few days you’ll find yourself with a bunch of Blocked users you used to message with.
- All the time attempt to purchase regionally so you may examine the item, meet the vendor, and pay at the time of choose up or supply. Also, arrange your assembly in a secure and safe atmosphere. If want be, take a pal with you.
Solely use these fee strategies that you belief and are aware of
- The easiest way to transact is to alternate the merchandise and fee on the similar time. Don’t ship cash earlier than you see the item and you’re happy that it meets your necessities. I additionally like to make use of M-PESA as a result of in case of something, at the very least there’s a paper path. Scammers will all the time need to keep away from this.
On the end of the day, your personal safety is paramount so for those who aren’t positive in regards to the deal you’re about to make, again out as soon as you may. There are countless tales on-line of scammers so it may be worth combing by, familiarize your self with a few of these methods so you know how they may come at you.